Friday, December 14, 2007

The Secrets of Ambition - My Memories and Experience

The TIME magazine’s cover page highlighting the “Secrets of Ambition” attracted me and the contents briefly analyzing what separates the life of go-getters from its also-rans by Jaffery Klugar was interesting."A fire in the belly doesn’t light itself. Does the spark of ambition lie in genes, family, culture or even in some one’s own hands?” He argues whether science has the answer. But the answer is beyond scientific explanation if one could accept his arguments. What makes twins to have different abilities and ambitions is well argued. Though they might have had the same historical genetic factors there experience in their childhood might influence their ambitions in later days. Another interesting argument was the fact that within everyone a king is hiding and it only requires the right moment for him to emerge. My memories went back to my school days where I was sidelined from leadership roles for some reason or other and I didn’t have the will to overcome those stumbling blocks to prove myself worthy. Though as a boy scout I have had a lot of adventures in camping and various other missions something was always held me back.But I felt a sudden spurt and became the senior student union’s vice president. For the first time I had a taste of leadership role and that prompted me to aim at more achievements. I interviewed in the same year of my election to the student union’s office a Norwegian couple who were journalists and that interview covering Norwegian culture and lifestyle appeared in a small time publication “Arivali” from the Jaffna peninsula which was at that time controlled by LTTE. Thereafter I started in a couple of years my own Peace Mission and for my initiative I was awarded the “Lifting-Up the World with Oneness-Heart Award” from the Sri Chinmoy Centre at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.When I was reading the “The Secrets of Ambition” I personally felt uplifted and had the elated feeling that the King in me had emerged.

No comments:

Search n Blog